The SWFC encourages participants to create their own forecasts, and to only use external resources/forecasts as guidance to their own.
High school students, undergraduates, alumni, graduate students, university faculty/staff and staff/faculty at any research institution.
- Each participant must be associated with an institution.
- Each institution registered will act as the team to which its participants are registered to.
- Participants may register after the registration period and will still be eligible for monthly and contest awards.
- Forecast groups (high school, undergraduate, ..., faculty/staff) are used for statistical purposes.
- Passwords are encrypted as they are stored into the database.
- Forecasts are to be made Monday through Friday between 04:00 and 23:59 UTC for Tuesday through Saturday between 00:00 and 23:59UTC.
- Forecasters may forecast for any forecast day.
- Plentary K-Index, particle flux (>=10MeV) and X-ray peak brightness forecasts should be for the maximum values for the forecast period.
- Kp maximum predictions should be submitted as integers only.
The following are the points given for the top 5 forecasts in each of the three forecasting variables:
- First place: 5 points
- Second place: 4 points
- Third place: 3 points
- Fourth place: 2 points
- Fifth place: 1 point
- Ties receive the same point total.
- All ties replace subsequent points positions. For example if two people tie for first, then the next points position will be for third place.
- Ties are not limited to the number of points positions remaining.
If a forecaster does not forecast for a given day, they receive no penalty.
- The verification for the Estimated Planetary K-Index (Kp) is taken fromftp://ftp.sec.noaa.gov/pub/lists/geomag/AK.txt
- The verification for the particle flux (>=10MeV) is taken from ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/lists/particle/ (GOES 15)
- The verification for the X-ray peak brightness forecast is taken from ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/lists/xray/ (GOES 15)
After each academic semester, the following awards will be given:
- An award to the best individual forecaster.
- A award to the best forecast team.
If a forecaster is found cheating, in any way, they will lose eligibility to any and all possible awards and be removed from the contest.
- Rules are subject to change without notice
- The Space Weather Forecast Contest will never give any of the user supplied registration information to anyone.
- By registering for the contest you give the Space Weather Forecasting Contest permission to use your name on awards and the website.